Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Picks of the Week: Paper Girls #2, Monstress #1 and Rasputin #10

Some weeks it is too hard to settle on one awesome comic to pick.  It's one of those weeks and Image is dominating my pull!

Paper Girls #2: This book and its damn cliffhangers! You guys are killing me!!! Can we bump up the publishing schedule so that I am not waiting a month to find out what is happening next? If you didn't check out the first issue, Paper Girls follows four girls who deliver the local paper and have stumbled upon creatures of a currently unknown origin who seem up to no good.  With so many WTF moments and an ending scene that had me screaming for it not to be the last page, this is a can't miss comic. This Goonies meets X-Files story is written by Brian K. Vaughn, drawn by Cliff Chiang, colored by Matt Wilson and lettered by Jared K. Fletcher. 



Monstress #1: The preview pages for the comic resulted in me adding this to my pull list.  A mystical story following a teenage girl's capture and seeming enslavement by a group of witch nuns is both fascinating and troubling. The first issue fully captures the feeling of war and the helplessness of the defeated.  It's not an easy read, but a worthwhile one.  Written by Marjorie Liu, drawn by Sana Takeda and lettered by Rus Wooten, with a first issue weighing in at 66 ad free pages for $4.99, this is one to pick up from your LCS. 



Rasputin #10: I really should pay more attention to issue counts, but I always think in groups of six for trade publishing purposes.  So I assumed that I had at least two more issues after this one.  I have loved this series.  It's one of those rare comics that I picked up based on the title alone.  The story of Rasputin has always been intriguing to me.  The actual comic has not disappointed and I am sad this is the last issue.  The creators have done a beautiful job blending fact and fiction.  This is the Rasputin I want to believe exists.  Written by Alex Grecian, drawn by Riley Rossmo, colored by Ivan Plascencia, and lettered by Thomas Mauer, this journey through Russia should be taken! 


No comments:

Post a Comment