Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Pick of the Week: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1

Seems like we were just here not that long ago for The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1...alas, relaunches, reboots, renumbering happens in comics causing varying degrees of confusion for readers.  Have no fear, our girl, Doreen, is unbeatable for a number of reasons and no relaunch can diminish her butt-kicking, nut-eating super powers!  It's hard for me to pick a favorite comic, but Squirrel Girl is easily my favorite super-hero comic.  It's body positive.  It's fun and hilarious.  I can't even think of a single thing I would change (well, maybe that it was weekly, but I don't want to kill the creative team so...)

We rejoin our heroine with a rescue already in progress.  With the aid of the dashing Chipmunk Hunk, Koi Boi, Nancy, Tippy-Toe, and unnamed squirrels and chipmunks, everyone is saved and the group heads off to an unknown apartment.  Adventures must be ahead! Don't worry if you're new to Squirrel Girl or missed a few issues before the relaunch as we're provided with a handy reintroduction to our main crew.  Spoiler: Tippy-Toe is a squirrel.  

I really enjoy the relationship development in this comic, especially the friendship between Doreen and Nancy.  Sometimes comics can simply be action driven (which has its place), but I've connected with Squirrel Girl because I'm engaged with the characters and would want to hang out with them.  Not that I don't love the butt-kicking action, but I would totally adore an issue that Doreen and Nancy break down reality shows and movies.  

Written by Ryan North, whose itty-bitty bottom of the panel jokes slay me every issue, drawn by Erica Henderson, colored by Rico Renzi, and lettered by VC's Clayton Cowles, Squirrel Girl is a fun monthly romp through the Marvel Universe.  There's also Trading Card art by Joe Morris.  (I really hope a set of Squirrel Girl Trading Cards will be released in the future because they are the best!!)

Bonus Picks: Batgirl #45 and Chew #51

No comments:

Post a Comment