Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Pick of the Week: Ms. Marvel #1/The Mighty Thor #1



MS. MARVEL #1: Another all new number one issue of a comic that we just had an all new number one issue of not all that long ago, Ms. Marvel #1! If you're sensing a theme this fall, it would be that all of the Marvel books have really low numbers after the Battle of the Worlds (or something like that).

I'm just happy that one of my favorites, Kamala Khan has returned from the year's big event and is even more awesome as she has joined the Avengers.  I can't really keep up with which formation of the Avengers (New? All New? Shiny New? Standard?) she is in, but it does include the latest incarnation of Captain America (Sam Wilson) and Thor (Jane Foster) as well Nova, Iron-Man, Vision, and Miles Morales Spider-Man.  I think Peter Parker Spider-Man is running around in a different book (or five).

Written by G. Willow Wilson and drawn by Takeshi Miyazawa & Adrian Alphona, Ms. Marvel looks to be continuing its streak of awesome fun!




THE MIGHTY THOR #1: Did the secret that caused Odinson to be unworthy of Mjolnir get revealed in a book I didn't read? If so, someone please let me know what it is! What was revealed in the main Thor book during the Wars of Secrets and the Battles of Worlds, was the identity of the woman behind the hammer.  IF YOU DON'T KNOW AND DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED, STOP READING THIS RIGHT NOW AND GO PICK UP THE TRADES! If you do want to be spoiled because you want to pick up Issue One today then continue reading after the photo below.  (Also if you don't want to know, you should probably avoid the internet in general.)



I was a little disappointed when Jane Foster was revealed as the woman behind the hammer.  I can't really put my finger on the reason why, although I really liked the Shield Agent (whose name is currently escaping me) and it might have been nice to have a truly new female character added to the mix as the lead.  However, I trust Jason Aaron's writing to bring me around to why Jane will be the best Thor.  The art by Russell Dauterman and  the coloring by Matt Wilson set a beautiful backdrop for Jane's fight for her life and for the realms.


Bonus Picks: Spider-Woman #1, The Beauty #4 , Lumberjanes #20 (There are a lot of great comics out this week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment